Offsite construction specialist The McAvoy Group has won the Best Use of Technology category at the British Chamber of Commerce Awards in recognition of its pioneering work in digital construction technology.
This award follows McAvoy’s recent success in winning the Best Use of Technology accolade at the Northern Ireland Chamber of Commerce Awards.
The awards celebrate the best of British business and highlight the role of companies in delivering growth and prosperity across the UK. The awards assessed the financial performance of each entrant, their business objectives, and the use of technology to improve processes, efficiencies and customer service.
The judging panel praised McAvoy for ‘its use of technology to drive the business forward, improving overall performance and enabling sustained growth’. The judges also highlighted how McAvoy is ‘a forward-thinking organisation, paving the way for the future of construction’.
A number of factors have contributed to McAvoy’s strong financial performance over the past year, including significant investments in new technology and its pioneering work in the digital transformation of construction.
New technologies adopted by McAvoy include:
- The group’s award-winning and industry-leading use of digital construction technology and virtual reality to enhance design and collaboration with customers;
- R&D work to transform the manufacturing process and apply robotics to further improve the efficiency and quality of offsite construction solutions;
- Development of virtual reality for training in manufacturing to help continually improve health and safety, and efficiency;
- Implementation of a new IT infrastructure – an enterprise resource planning system which integrates project information across multiple business functions;
- Site and manufacturing teams now equipped with tablets to collect data on health and safety and provide progress reports;
- A cloud-based information management solution for sharing and collaboration on project information with dispersed teams;
- A new integrated HR and payroll system which employees can access and update personal details online.
Commenting on this major national award success, Eugene Lynch, managing director of The McAvoy Group, said: “We are absolutely thrilled that the UK business community has recognised our industry-leading commitment and investment in digital technology. The award is testament to the hard work of everyone in the company who has worked tirelessly to adopt a host of new technologies.
“We have invested heavily in our IT infrastructure and in the latest digital technology for the construction industry. This includes the use of virtual reality to enhance client engagement in the design of new offsite building projects.”
“We are now applying the digital transformation to our manufacturing operations and are looking at how we can use robotics and new materials to further enhance efficiency and training. Innovation is embedded across the business and is so important in helping us to achieve our ambitious plans for growth.”
McAvoy delivers fast-track building projects which are manufactured offsite in a controlled factory environment. This approach significantly improves the quality of construction and reduces programme times by up to 50%.
The group operates in the healthcare, education, residential, commercial and infrastructure sectors. Its clients include the Department of Education, NHS trusts, local authorities, airports and affordable housing providers.